Skip to main content

Moving blogs, ASP.NET vs PHP and WordPress

I moved my permanent blog to here, if you hadn’t noticed.  It went a whole lot smoother than I thought it would as my main blog was on Blogger.com.  I had this sinking feeling that in order to move all my entries I would have to save them one by one then repost them.  Boy was I surprised!


I had originally given thought to switching my hosting to use ASP.Net, the only hold back was that  my gallery was using Gallery.  But since I am a .NET developer I thought “why not use something I know?”  Wrong attitude!  It would cost me more to use a .Net server plus after looking around there were not a whole lot of options when it came to applications.  There is DotNetNuke, dasBlog or SubText, plus a handful of galleries.  From what I saw none of those approach the maturity of the PHP options. 


I settled on WordPress mainly because I have used it before.  I’ve used numerous CMS applications but I do not want a CMS.  I want a blog engine and a gallery.  The hosting company provided Gallery already which I use and like, and it does offer PHPNuke but that would not fit my needs.


So how to handle the migration?  Turns out that is all built into WordPress.  When I saw that I could import my entire Blogger site I was amazed!  The whole installation process was simple and enjoyable.  The migration took all of fifteen minutes and that is only because I had to figure out how to dump the two blog entries I had at LiveJournal.


Why did I leave blogger?  I am a adamant fan of almost every thing Google and I have had that blog for ages, but I felt like I had to fight the system more than I needed to.  If I wanted categories I would have to either create separate blogs or encode the titles then have some funky search going on.  I think the one thing that really made me want to switch was that I could not select individual entries.  How lame is that?


But I am here now.  My own domain.  My own little space in the wild.


Genghis DarrenPCC Rulez

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Json for jqGrid from ASP.Net MVC

jqGrid takes a specific format for its json (taken from jqGrid documentation): [js]{ total: "xxx",page: "yyy", records: "zzz", rows : [ {id:"1", cell:["cell11", "cell12", "cell13"]}, {id:"2", cell:["cell21", "cell22", "cell23"]}, ... ]}[/js] The tags mean the following: total - Total number of Pages. page - Current page Index. records - Total number of records in the rows group. rows - An array with the data plus an identifier. id - The unique row identifier, needs to be an int from what I have found. cell - An array of the data for the grid. The ASP.Net MVC framework has the JsonResult response type which we can use to populate the jqGrid. As an example I created a Person model and a method to return some data: [csharp] public class Person { public int ID { get; set; } public string Name { get; set; } public DateTime Birthday { get; set; } } public I

Changing Typed DataSet Connection String

I was working on a WinForm app that connected to a MS Access database. Yeah, Access sucks but I didn't have a choice in the matter. The app itself is used to import a bunch of CSV files into the Access database. It is more of a utility program and it has going through several variations, from being a simple hand driven command line tool to being GUI driven. The command line version was all hand controlled. I had to go in and update configuration files to point to the CSV files and the MDB database. That got old fast so I decided to make a GUI version that would allow me to pick the MDB file and each of the CSV files to import. Picking and using the CSV files was easy, it was changing the connection string for the MDB that proved to be the hardest. I am using strongly typed datasets in VS2005. If you have ever worked with them you find out soon that the connection string gets saved with the project in the app.config file, even if it is a seperate DAL dll project. My guess is

Remote Controlled RoboTank

This is my version of the ever popular to build RoboTank. It uses an Arduino Mega 2560 with the AdaFruit motor shield and an XBee S1 to communicate to the DFRobot Gamepad. The sketch for the RoboTank makes use of the AFMotor.h to drive the motors and includes a serial parser to read and process the commands coming from the Gamepad. Robotank-Sketch.zip DFRobot Wireless Joystick